Monday, May 2, 2016

The City Has Awakened!

Scott is a homeless man that I met shortly after we moved to 6th Street.
He begs for food and money few blocks from our house. Sometimes he is very easy to converse with. Other times, it is almost impossible to understand him. 
I have passed Scott for over a year and still do not know what to say or how to help.
 
He does some art work, often selling to tourists. Scott agreed to design six cards for me. I paid him up front (something I never do...). I walked to 5th & Girard to pick up the cards. Scott was there but only an excuse and not the completed project.
 
Twice, I went back to see how the project was coming along. I'm not sure why I was surprised. 
But I had taken a chance...and it never feels good to lose.
"He is just like all the others."
Rather cynically, I figured he had no intention of doing the artwork.
 
 
Eventually, Scott completed what he promised to do. Sure, it was a week late.
 
But I learned a valuable lesson.
Being cynical is denying someone a chance.
Here are the six cards from Scott.
 
 
 
 
Tristan has been overseeing the mission's building project the last few months.
One house needed completely remodeled. We waited for more than a year for permits, etc.
But finally the project is underway...and will end hopefully in the middle of summer!
 

 
 
 
 
Spring is finally here...and the city is alive!
 
 
 
People are on their porches, talking to their neighbors...
And the parks are full and noisy...
 
It's been rather exciting watching it all happen again.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
Our afternoon and evenings still are spent with kids. 
Since school is in session...we do a lot of baking and cooking.



MaKayla and Diamond are cooking supper with me several times a month right now.
Such fun conversation with 8th graders heading to high school!
Malaysia, Israel, Ni'hem, and Ciani
 
 
Our verse for the last few months...
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom..." 
 
 
Race Street Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment